linux-audit.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net>
To: Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com>
Cc: Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@redhat.com>, linux-audit@redhat.com
Subject: Re: multicast listeners and audit events to kmsg
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 15:57:43 +0200	[thread overview]

On Do, 23.04.20 09:50, Paul Moore (paul@paul-moore.com) wrote:

> > > If systemd enables the audit stream, and doesn't want the stream to
> > > flood kmsg, it needs to make sure that the stream is directed to a
> > > suitable sink, be it auditd or some other daemon.
> >
> > This sounds as if journald should start using the unicast stream. This
> > basically means auditd is out of the game, and cannot be added in
> > anymore, because the unicast stream is then owned by journald. It
> > wouldn't be sufficient to just install the audit package to get
> > classic audit working anymore. You'd have to reconfigure everything.
> >
> > I mean, we try to be non-intrusive, not step into your territory too
> > much, not replace auditd, not kick auditd out of the game. But you are
> > basically telling us to do just that?
>
> My recommendation is that if you are going to enable audit you should
> also ensure that auditd is running; that is what I'm telling you.

Well, that's the "audit is my private kingdom" response, right?

People are interested in collecting the audit stream without having
the full audit daemon installed. There's useful data in the audit
stream, already generated during really early boot, long before auditd
runs, i.e. in the initrd. And for smaller systems auditd is not really
something people want around.

For example, Fedora CoreOS wants to enable selinux, thus is interested
in audit messages, but have no intention to install auditd, in the
typical, minimal images they generate. See:

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin