linux-bluetooth.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Merlijn Wajer <merlijn@wizzup.org>
To: Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org>, Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com>
Cc: Sebastian Reichel <sre@kernel.org>,
	"Arthur D." <spinal.by@gmail.com>,
	linux-omap@vger.kernel.org, linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Droid 4 WiFi firmware loading error
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 16:38:21 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Marcel,

On 14/02/2020 19:23, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
>>> WTF :(
>>>
>>> Right now the BT driver and the WiFi driver are no aware of
>>> each other. Actually the kernel is not even aware, that both
>>> drivers are using the same chip. Unfortunately this will be
>>> tricky to solve properly. Since a system may have two WiLink
>>> devices, the only solution coming to my mind would be adding
>>> a link from the BT device to the WiFi device in device tree.
>>> Additionally we would need something in the WiLink driver to
>>> check if driver has been initialized properly for a given DT
>>> node.
>>
>> Yeah exactly.. I think the best way would be to export something
>> like wlcore_register_bt/wlcore_unregister_bt.. And then have
>> wlcore_register_bt return -EAGAIN until wlcore is up.
>
> actually NO.
>
> We have rejected this many times for all hardware manufacturers. Please fix the firmware instead.

That could be a real challenge, given that we don't have access to the
firmware source. Are there other historic precedents besides "fix the
firmware" that could be relevant here?

Currently we're stuck with either blacklisting the bluetooth modules all
together, or potentially have out of tree patches -- neither are ideal
for (my/our) "Mainline GNU/Linux" on a smartphone goal.

Cheers,
Merlijn