linux-bluetooth.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@gmail.com>
To: Eisenkolb.Thomas@fronius.com
Cc: "linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org" <linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Bluetooth: Is it possible to operate Bluez concurrent in central and peripheral role?
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 19:49:17 +0300	[thread overview]

Hi Thomas,
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:18 AM Eisenkolb Thomas
<Eisenkolb.Thomas@fronius.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working with blueZ 5.50 on a linux embedded device with kernel 4.14.
>
> Now I have to implement a use case where the linux embedded device communicates as a central device with a few sensors through Bluetooth LE characteristics and at the same time it should advertise some data and accept at least one incoming connection from a Smartphone as a peripheral device for maintenance cases.
>
> I haven't found any information about blueZ is supporting both LE roles at the same time.
> I have already tried it now for 2 days to get this use case to work and I found a few limitations for which I didn't find any solution.
>
> I was not able to advertise any data while my device had an active connection to a peripheral device.
> Also while the Smartphone is connected to my embedded device(peripheral), I don't receive any advertised Data from any sensor and I cannot connect to any sensor.
>
> The Bluetooth Hardware Module which I am using on the embedded Linux System supports Bluetooth 4.2. From the Bluetooth Standard I have found that concurrent use of both Bluetooth Low Energy Roles should be supported since Bluetooth 4.1.
>
> Is it possible from blueZ Stack side to implement this use-case?

BlueZ should work as dual roles already, if it doesn't there could
bugs or the controller preventing commands to work properly.

> If yes, can you give me some hints what I have to consider to get this case working?

Do you have HCI logs of the problem(s)?

> If no, have you got a timeline when it will be supported or is this no planned to implement in near future?

Most of upstream effort is on mesh and updates to include 5.0
features, but dual-role is something that we might consider high
priority if that is not working properly.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz