From: Richard Weinberger <richard@nod.at>
To: Zygo Blaxell <ce3g8jdj@umail.furryterror.org>
Cc: linux-btrfs <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Decoding "unable to fixup (regular)" errors
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 11:00:42 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----

Yes, will answer in a second mail. I found two more systems with such
errors.

> At least one vendor has the same firmware in their enterprise RE disks
> as in their consumer drives, and it's unusually bad.  Apart from the
> identical firmware revision string, the consumer and RE disks have
> indistinguishable behavior in our failure mode testing, e.g.  they both
> have write caching bugs on power failures, they both silently corrupt
> a few blocks of data once or twice a drive-year...
>
>> Even if one disk is silently corrupting data, having the bad block copied to
>> the second disk is even more less likely to happen.
>> And I run the RAID-Health check often.
>
> Your setup is not able to detect this kind of failure very well.
> We've had problems with mdadm health-check failing to report errors
> even in deliberate data corruption tests.  If a resync is triggered,
> all data on one drive is blindly copied to the other.  You also have
> nothing checking for integrity failures between mdadm health checks
> (other than btrfs csum failures when the corruption propagates to the
> filesystem layer, as shown above in your log).

I'm aware of this.

> We do a regression test where we corrupt every block on one disk in
> a btrfs raid1 (even the superblocks) and check to ensure they are all
> correctly reported and repaired without interrupting applications running
> on the filesystem.  btrfs has a separate csum so it knows which version
> of the block is wrong, and it checks on every read so it will detect
> and report errors that occur between scrubs.
>
> The most striking thing about the description of your setup is that you
> have ECC RAM and you have a scrub regime to detect errors...but you have
> both a huge gap in error detection coverage and a mechanism to propagate
> errors across what is supposed to be a fault isolation boundary because
> you're using mdadm raid1 instead of btrfs raid1.  If one of your disks
> goes bad, not only will it break your filesystem, but you won't know
> which disk you need to replace.

I didn't claim that my setup is perfect. What strikes me a little is that
the only possible explanation from your side are super corner cases like
silent data corruption within an enterprise disk, followed by silent failure
of my RAID1, etc..

I fully agree that such things *can* happen but it is not the most likely
kind of failure.
All devices are being checked by SMART. Sure, SMART could also be lying to me, but...

Thanks,
//richard