On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 07:32:26AM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote: > > > On 2019/11/19 上午4:18, David Sterba wrote: > > On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 02:27:07PM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote: > >> This patchset will make btrfs degraded mount more intelligent and > >> provide more consistent profile keeping function. > >> > >> One of the most problematic aspect of degraded mount is, btrfs may > >> create unwanted profiles. > >> > >> # mkfs.btrfs -f /dev/test/scratch[12] -m raid1 -d raid1 > >> # wipefs -fa /dev/test/scratch2 > >> # mount -o degraded /dev/test/scratch1 /mnt/btrfs > >> # fallocate -l 1G /mnt/btrfs/foobar > >> # btrfs ins dump-tree -t chunk /dev/test/scratch1 > >> item 7 key (FIRST_CHUNK_TREE CHUNK_ITEM 1674575872) itemoff 15511 itemsize 80 > >> length 536870912 owner 2 stripe_len 65536 type DATA > >> New data chunk will fallback to SINGLE or DUP. > >> > >> > >> The cause is pretty simple, when mounted degraded, missing devices can't > >> be used for chunk allocation. > >> Thus btrfs has to fall back to SINGLE profile. > >> > >> This patchset will make btrfs to consider missing devices as last resort if > >> current rw devices can't fulfil the profile request. > >> > >> This should provide a good balance between considering all missing > >> device as RW and completely ruling out missing devices (current mainline > >> behavior). > > > > Thanks. This is going to change the behaviour with a missing device, so > > the question is if we should make this configurable first and then > > switch the default. > > Configurable then switch makes sense for most cases, but for this > degraded chunk case, IIRC the new behavior is superior in all cases. > > For 2 devices RAID1 with one missing device (the main concern), old > behavior will create SINGLE/DUP chunk, which has no tolerance for extra > missing devices. > > The new behavior will create degraded RAID1, which still lacks tolerance > for extra missing devices. > > The difference is, for degraded chunk, if we have the device back, and > do proper scrub, then we're completely back to proper RAID1. > No need to do extra balance/convert, only scrub is needed. I think you meant to say "replace" instead of "scrub" above. > So the new behavior is kinda of a super set of old behavior, using the > new behavior by default should not cause extra concern. It sounds OK to me, provided that the missing device is going away permanently, and a new device replaces it. If the missing device comes back, we end up relying on scrub and 32-bit CRCs to figure out which disk has correct data, and it will be wrong 1/2^32 of the time. For nodatasum files there are no CRCs so the data will be wrong much more often. This patch doesn't change that, but maybe another patch should. > > How does this work with scrub? Eg. if there are 2 devices in RAID1, one > > goes missing and then scrub is started. It makes no sense to try to > > repair the missing blocks, but given the logic in the patches all the > > data will be rewritten, right? > > Scrub is unchanged at all. > > Missing device will not go through scrub at all, as scrub is per-device > based, missing device will be ruled out at very beginning of scrub. > > Thanks, > Qu > > >