From: Thommandra Gowtham <trgowtham123@gmail.com>
To: Zygo Blaxell <ce3g8jdj@umail.furryterror.org>
Cc: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RAID1 disk missing
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 12:08:38 +0530	[thread overview]

Thank you for the response.

> > [24710.605112] BTRFS error (device sdb3): bdev /dev/sda3 errs: wr
> > 96623, rd 16870, flush 105, corrupt 0, gen 0
> >
> > The above are expected because one of the disks is missing. How do I
> > make sure that the system works fine until a replacement disk is
> > added? That can take a few days or a week?
>
> btrfs doesn't have a good way to eject a disk from the array if it
> fails while mounted.  It should, but it doesn't.
>
> You might be able to drop the SCSI device with:
>
>         echo 1 > /sys/block/sdb/device/delete
>
> which will at least stop the flood of kernel errors.

Actually it doesn't. I am simulating a disk failure using the above
command. That is when the BTRFS errors increase on the disk.
If a disk on RAID1 goes missing, can we expect BTRFS to work on single
disk until a replacement is added(might take few weeks)? And is there
a way to supress these errors on missing disk i.e 'sda'?

# echo 1 > /sys/block/sda/device/delete
[83617.630080] BTRFS error (device sdb3): bdev /dev/sda3 errs: wr 1,
rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[83617.640052] BTRFS error (device sdb3): bdev /dev/sda3 errs: wr 2,
rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
[83617.650015] BTRFS error (device sdb3): bdev /dev/sda3 errs: wr 3,
rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0

# btrfs device stats  /.rootbe/
[/dev/sdb3].write_io_errs   0
[/dev/sdb3].read_io_errs    0
[/dev/sdb3].flush_io_errs   0
[/dev/sdb3].corruption_errs 0
[/dev/sdb3].generation_errs 0
[/dev/sda3].write_io_errs   1010
[/dev/sda3].read_io_errs    0
[/dev/sda3].flush_io_errs   3
[/dev/sda3].corruption_errs 0
[/dev/sda3].generation_errs 0

And then attach the disk back using

# echo '- - -' > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan

But the RAID1 doesn't recover even when I do a scrub. Actually doing a
scrub is making kernel hang at this time.
The only way next is to powercycle the system and try scrub again or de-mirror.

# btrfs scrub start -B /.rootbe
[83979.085152] INFO: task btrfs-transacti:473 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[83979.093131]       Tainted: P        W  OE    4.15.0-36-generic #1
[83979.099942] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs"
disables this message.
[83979.108869] INFO: task systemd-journal:531 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

After power-cycle,

#  btrfs scrub start -B /.rootbe
scrub done for 8af19714-9a5b-41cb-9957-6ec85bdf97d1
scrub started at Thu Jul 30 23:59:08 2020 and finished after 00:00:19
total bytes scrubbed: 4.38GiB with 574559 errors
error details: read=574557 super=2
corrected errors: 3008, uncorrectable errors: 571549, unverified errors: 0
ERROR: there are uncorrectable errors

Sometimes, after power-cycle the BTRFS is unable the verify checksum
and ends up not able to mount the disk or also mount read-only
sometimes.
Hence, the system is not usable at all.

Is there a way where I can take some action when one disk in RAID goes
missing so that BTRFS ignores the meta-data from the missing disk
if/when it is back online?
There are only two disks on the system and the replacement will take time.
I do not mind permanently removing the disk from RAID1 and temporarily
run on single disk until a replacement hardware arrives. Please let me
know.

I cannot mount as degraded because it is active root fs and it says
that the mountpoint is busy.

Thanks,
Gowtham