From: Qu Wenruo <quwenruo.btrfs@gmx.com>
To: Alex Powell <alexj.powellalt@googlemail.com>,
	linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Unable to delete device
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 11:41:59 +0800	[thread overview]

On 2019/11/10 上午9:14, Alex Powell wrote:
> Hi all,
> I had a disk fail on my BTRFS RAID5 array. It is still mounting but
> there are bad sectors which will switch the array to read only mode
> when used.

Nope, regular sector shouldn't cause RO mount.

Dmesg please for the RO (transaction abort).

> I used "btrfs device delete /dev/sdd /mnt/data" to remove it from the
> array. However it seems that it is only partially removing it from the
> array and when it gets to the bad sectors it fails.
>
> localhost ~ # btrfs device delete /dev/sdd /mnt/data
> ERROR: error removing device '/dev/sdd': Input/output error

This is another different problem.
Dmesg please.

This can be caused by bad sector + failed to rebuild data.
Please keep in mind RAID5 of btrfs can't handle write hole yet, thus
it's not ensured to tolerant one corrupted disk.

Thanks,
Qu