Hi, On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 11:38:46AM +0200, Jernej Skrabec wrote: > In preparation to introduce DE3 support, change prefix from "SUN8I_" to > "DE2_". Current prefix suggest that it's valid only for one family, > whereas in reality, DE2 unit is used also on sun50i family. > Additionally, it will be easier to distinguish DE3 specific macros by > using "DE3_" prefix. > > No functional change in this commit. I'm not too sure about this one. There's basically two ways to look at this: you described the first one, and the second one would be to treat it as we do for the compatibles: the IP was introduced on one SoC family, and then got used on some other ones. Trying to always match the one you have however have a quite big maintainance cost, as can be shown by your patch: you always have to adapt comments, function names, defines, etc. This creates a lot of useless churns (ie, non-functional changes) in the drivers, that need to be written in the first place, and then reviewed. It's just not worth it. Maxime -- Maxime Ripard, Bootlin Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering https://bootlin.com