On Wed, 2021-05-12 at 17:17 +0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote: > Em Wed, 12 May 2021 10:14:44 -0400 > "Theodore Ts'o" escreveu: > > > On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 02:50:04PM +0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote: > > > v2: > > > - removed EM/EN DASH conversion from this patchset; > > > > Are you still thinking about doing the > > > > EN DASH --> "--" > > EM DASH --> "---" > > > > conversion? > > Yes, but I intend to submit it on a separate patch series, probably after > having this one merged. Let's first cleanup the large part of the > conversion-generated UTF-8 char noise ;-) > > > That's not going to change what the documentation will > > look like in the HTML and PDF output forms, and I think it would make > > life easier for people are reading and editing the Documentation/* > > files in text form. > > Agreed. I'm also considering to add a couple of cases of this char: > > - U+2026 ('…'): HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS > > As Sphinx also replaces "..." into HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS. Er, what? The *only* part of this whole enterprise that actually seemed to make even a tiny bit of sense — rather than seeming like a thinly veiled retrospective excuse for dragging us back in time by 30 years — was the bit about making it easier to grep. But if I understand you correctly, you're talking about using something like C trigraphs to represent the perfectly reasonable text emdash character ("—") as two hyphen-minuses ("--") in the source code of the documentation? Isn't that going to achieve precisely the *opposite*? If I select some text in the HTML output of the docs and then search for it in the source code, that's going to *stop* it matching my search?