On Mon 2018-07-30 17:02:09, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote: > On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 12:49:38PM -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote: > > > That said, people have wanted these kinds of extended error > > > descriptors forever, and the reason we haven't added them is that it > > > generally is more pain than it is necessarily worth. I'm not actually > > > at all convinced that has magically changed with the mount > > > configuration thing. > > > > I'm not convinced we want to do this either, but if there's anywhere we > > do want to do it then mount seems like one of the few places it might be > > worth doing. The reasons that a mount failed are many, and it doesn't > > seem like a good idea to introduce a new errno every time a network > > filesystem finds a new failure mode. > > We've lived without VMS-style error reporting for a long time, and it > *that* much of a real problem. Even with network file systems, I ? > So it might be that we're seriously over-thinking things. Most of the > really complicated error messages are at connection setup time, and > that can be done in userspace, and then userspace can handle all of > that awful gettext, or VMS-style error messages, or whatever other > horrors the I18N community want to inflict on us. :-) Well, this is designing brand-new error reporting channel to the userspace. I see that changing dmesg to provide something usable for gettext would be hard, but it is quite trivial to do it right this time. I agree we survived without that for a long time, but we have chance to do it right for a minimum price (because the interface is new we don't need compatibility). Thanks, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html