On 2019-08-29, Rasmus Villemoes wrote: > On 29/08/2019 14.15, Aleksa Sarai wrote: > > On 2019-08-24, Daniel Colascione wrote: > > >> Why pad the structure when new functionality (perhaps accommodated via > >> a larger structure) could be signaled by passing a new flag? Adding > >> reserved fields to a structure with a size embedded in the ABI makes a > >> lot of sense --- e.g., pthread_mutex_t can't grow. But this structure > >> can grow, so the reservation seems needless to me. > > > > Quite a few folks have said that ->reserved is either unnecessary or > > too big. I will be changing this, though I am not clear what the best > > way of extending the structure is. If anyone has a strong opinion on > > this (or an alternative to the ones listed below), please chime in. I > > don't have any really strong attachment to this aspect of the API. > > > > There appear to be a few ways we can do it (that all have precedence > > with other syscalls): > > > > 1. Use O_* flags to indicate extensions. > > 2. A separate "version" field that is incremented when we change. > > 3. Add a size_t argument to openat2(2). > > 4. Reserve space (as in this patchset). > > > > (My personal preference would be (3), followed closely by (2).) > > 3, definitely, and instead of having to invent a new scheme for every > new syscall, make that the default pattern by providing a helper Sure (though hopefully I don't need to immediately go and refactor all the existing size_t syscalls). I will be presenting about this patchset at the containers microconference at LPC (in a few weeks), so I'll hold of on any API-related rewrites until after that. > int __copy_abi_struct(void *kernel, size_t ksize, const void __user > *user, size_t usize) > { > size_t copy = min(ksize, usize); > > if (copy_from_user(kernel, user, copy)) > return -EFAULT; > > if (usize > ksize) { > /* maybe a separate "return user_is_zero(user + ksize, usize - > ksize);" helper */ > char c; > user += ksize; > usize -= ksize; > while (usize--) { > if (get_user(c, user++)) > return -EFAULT; > if (c) > return -EINVAL; This part would probably be better done with memchr_inv() and copy_from_user() (and probably should put an upper limit on usize), but I get what you mean. > } > } else if (ksize > usize) { > memset(kernel + usize, 0, ksize - usize); > } > return 0; > } > #define copy_abi_struct(kernel, user, usize) \ > __copy_abi_struct(kernel, sizeof(*kernel), user, usize) > > > Both (1) and (2) have the problem that the "struct version" is inside > > the struct so we'd need to copy_from_user() twice. This isn't the end of > > the world, it just feels a bit less clean than is ideal. (3) fixes that > > problem, at the cost of making the API slightly more cumbersome to use > > directly (though again glibc could wrap that away). > > I don't see how 3 is cumbersome to use directly. Userspace code does > struct openat_of_the_day args = {.field1 = x, .field3 = y} and passes > &args, sizeof(args). What does glibc need to do beyond its usual munging > of the userspace ABI registers to the syscall ABI registers? I'd argue that ret = openat2(AT_FDCWD, "foo", &how, sizeof(how)); // (3) is slightly less pretty than ret = openat2(AT_FDCWD, "foo", &how); // (1), (2), (4) But it's not really that bad. Forget I said anything. -- Aleksa Sarai Senior Software Engineer (Containers) SUSE Linux GmbH