From: Brian Foster <bfoster@redhat.com>
To: Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com>
Cc: Allison Collins <allison.henderson@oracle.com>,
	Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com>,
	"Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@oracle.com>,
	lsf-pc@lists.linux-foundation.org,
	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>,
	xfs <linux-xfs@vger.kernel.org>, Eryu Guan <guaneryu@gmail.com>,
	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] FS Maintainers Don't Scale
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:19:28 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:39:29AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> [...]
> request and you won't get those questions from reviewers who look at
> every version of the patchset because they are familiary with the
> history of the code.
>
> If this sort of question is not asked during review, we end up in
> the situation where someone looks at the code a year after it is
> merged and there's no documentation in the code or commit messages
> that explains why the code is written the way it is. This is what
> makes drive-by reviews valuable - people unfamiliar with the code
> see it differently and ask different questions....
>
> IOWs, everyone is free to review code at any time with no
> constraints, past requirements or future liabilities.  If the code
> author wants someone to review every version of a patchset, then
> they need to co-ordinate those people to set aside the time to
> review the code in a prompt and efficient manner. However, expecting
> that other developers cannot review a V5 patchset without first
> having read all of the reviews of v1-v4 is unrealistic, especially
> as this reduces the value of their review substantially as their
> viewpoint is now "tainted" by knowing the history of the code up to
> this point....
>
> > Which I *think* is what Darrick may be eluding to in
> > his initial proposition.  People request for certain reviewers, or
> > perhaps the reviewers can volunteer to be sort of assigned to it
> > in an effort to provide more constructive reviews.  In this way,
> > reviewers allocate their efforts where they are most effective,
> > and in doing so better distribute the work load as well.  Did I
> > get that about right?  Thoughts?
>
> [ speaking as someone who was almost completely burnt out by
> having to perform most of the review, testing and maintanence tasks
> for kernel, userspace and test infrastructue for several years ]
>
> Again, I don't think the maintainer should have anything to do with
> this process. Distributed development requires peers to collaborate
> and self organise without central coordination of their efforts.
> Hence it is the responsibility of the code author to organise review
> for code they are working on. The code author wants the code merged,
> therefore they are the people with the motivation to get the code
> reviewed promptly.
>
> And, quite frankly, the maintainer has no power to force someone to
> review code. Hence asking the maintainer to manage reviewers on
> behalf of code authors won't work any better than
> distributing/delegating that responsibility to the code author...
>
> Historically speaking, the XFS maintainer's prime reponsibility has
> been to merge community reviewed code into the upstream tree, not to
> review code or tell people what code they should be reviewing. The
> fact that we are still placing the burden of review and
> co-ordinating review on the maintainer despite ample evidence that
> it causes burn-out is a failure of our community to self-organise

I agree with just about all of this mail, but I do have a question for
Darrick and Dave.. in what ways do we (XFS community) place the burden
on the maintainer to garner/coordinate review? I get the impression that
some of this is implied or unintentional simply by reviews coming in
slow or whatever, and the maintainer feeling the need to fill the gap. I
can sort of understand that behavior as being human nature, but OTOH
there's only so many developers with so much time available for review.

That's not generally something we can control. Given that, I don't think
it's necessarily useful to say that review throughput is the fundamental
problem vs. this unfortunate dynamic of limited reviews not meeting
demand leading to excess maintainer pressure. I'm trying to think about
how we can deal with this more fundamentally beyond just saying "do more
review" or having some annoying ownership process, but I think this
requires more input from you guys who have experienced it...

Brian