It's not very elegant, but the quick and dirty solution is to use sudo to allow certain users to run specific commands with a real uid of root. You can say exactly what arguments the user has to use - the sudoers file is where this is configured. Or you can make a script - which is probably better. But said script should have no arguments, or as few as possible - because any complexity allows that user to attempt to exploit it to acheive root. Such a script could trivially bring a specific LV online, writable by a specific user. More complex requirement would be - more complex. If LVM has more elegant features for this kind of thing, I'm all ears. On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 8:43 AM, Christoph Pleger wrote: >> Go back to the beginning and describe the original problem you are >> trying to solve and the constraints you have and ask for advice about >> ways to achieve it. > > The beginning is that I want to create a user-specific logical volume > when a user logs in to a service that authenticates its users through > pam and that does not run as root. > > Regards > Christoph >