linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Heinz Mauelshagen <heinzm@redhat.com>
To: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>,
	tudor@tudorholton.com
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] (Why) Does lvmcreate --raid6 need 5 drives?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:14:02 +0200	[thread overview]

On 09/18/2018 01:41 AM, tudor@tudorholton.com wrote:
> --------snip------
>> We do have a constraint in lvm2 to require the raid6 minimum for N to
>> be 3.
>>
>> Configuring a raid6 LV (an array by MD terms) with 2 data stripes is
>> suboptimal for performance,
>> because data striping is minimal in this case.  In addition, the
>> metadata overhead is maximal
>> for parity, P- and Q-syndromes being half of the brutto size of the
>> raid6 LV.
>>
> My apologies.  I googled "brutto size" but came up with nothing. I do
> have a basic understanding of P and Q syndromes so I think I have a
> vague understanding of your meaning.

I have to apologize, I meant gross size

> I understand it's suboptimal, but not non-existent.  In particular why
> is this a restriction and not just a warning?

The lvm2 code assumes data stripes to be more than parity/syndrome stripes.

> Performance aside, I could also argue that there's a use case for a
> minimal (and not degraded) set before expansion.

Sure you could,  when expansion is planned one can create the raid6 set
with the intended total stripes though.

That aside, this is a constraint for such use cases and we may
eventually get rid of it.

Regards,
Heinz