Many thanks for all the feedback. The idea works for those applications that supports snapshots. Like Sybase / SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise, Sybase / SAP IQ Server, DB2, MongoDB, MariaDB/MySQL, PostgreSQL etc.. Anyhow, back to the origin question: Is there a way how to re-create the cow- format. so that lvconvert --merge can be used. Or by having lvconvert --merge to accept to read from a "cow file" If that would be possible, than instant recovery would be possible from an external source, like a backup server. Regards Tomas Den ons 23 okt. 2019 kl 08:58 skrev Gionatan Danti : > Il 23-10-2019 00:53 Stuart D. Gathman ha scritto: > > If you can find all the leaf nodes belonging to the root (in my btree > > database they are marked with the root id and can be found by > > sequential > > scan of the volume), then reconstructing the btree data is > > straightforward - even in place. > > > > I remember realizing this was the only way to recover a major > > customer's > > data - and had the utility written, tested, and applied in a 36 hour > > programming marathon (which I hope to never repeat). If this hasn't > > occured to thin pool programmers, I am happy to flesh out the > > procedure. > > Having such a utility available as a last resort would ratchet up the > > reliability of thin pools. > > Very interesting. Can I ask you what product/database you recovered? > > Anyway, giving similar ability to thin Vols would be awesome. > > Thanks. > > -- > Danti Gionatan > Supporto Tecnico > Assyoma S.r.l. - www.assyoma.it > email: g.danti@assyoma.it - info@assyoma.it > GPG public key ID: FF5F32A8 >