On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 6:34 PM Bryn M. Reeves wrote: > OK - I understand what's going on in your environment now, thanks! > > Unfortunately it's not possible to have a writable external origin when > using device-mapper thin provisioned snapshots. To be able to write to > the origin while snapshots exist the origin device must also be a thin > provisioned logical volume. > > This is explained in more detail in the kernel documentation for the > thin provisioning targets. > > Documentation/admin-guide/device-mapper/thin-provisioning.rst: > > External snapshots > ------------------ > > You can use an external **read only** device as an origin for a > thinly-provisioned volume. Any read to an unprovisioned area of the > thin device will be passed through to the origin. Writes trigger > the allocation of new blocks as usual. > > One use case for this is VM hosts that want to run guests on > thinly-provisioned volumes but have the base image on another device > (possibly shared between many VMs). > > You must not write to the origin device if you use this technique! > Of course, you may write to the thin device and take internal snapshots > of the thin volume. > > This allows a few niche use cases (like the VM example given), but it's > not the conventional way of using snapshots with thinp and it does > restrict what you can do. > > This means that to use thinp snapshots most effectively you must set the > system up with a thin pool from the start (e.g. using the distro's > installer to set up the VG). > > > Command on LV vgfedora/fedora uses options that are invalid > > with LV parameters: lv_is_external_origin. > > This is correct: currently you cannot make the origin writable since it > is an external snapshot. > > There is some work going on at the moment that would make device-mapper > type features more flexible and available in other device types, but > with the features provided by current tools and the thinp kernel > support you need to use a thinp device for the snapshot origin too. > > > Is there some sort of resolution ? > > It means re-installing but if the system is set up to use a thin pool > and thin provisioned logical volumes from the start then you can use > snapshots without any of the limitations that you've bumped into with > external origin devices. Do I have to reinstall my system for thin snapshots ? Can't I just clone my filesystem and then create a thin pool ? > > -- Regards, Sreyan Chakravarty