On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 06:56:43PM +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote: > Dne 30. 01. 22 v 18:30 Demi Marie Obenour napsal(a): > > On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 12:18:32PM +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote: > > > Discard of thins itself is AFAIC pretty fast - unless you have massively > > > sized thin devices with many GiB of metadata - obviously you cannot process > > > this amount of metadata in nanoseconds (and there are prepared kernel > > > patches to make it even faster) > > > > Would you be willing and able to share those patches? > > Then are always landing in upstream kernel once they are all validated & > tested (recent kernel already has many speed enhancements). Thanks! Which mailing list should I be watching? > > > What is the problem is the speed of discard of physical devices. > > > You could actually try to feel difference with: > > > lvchange --discards passdown|nopassdown thinpool > > > > In Qubes OS I believe we do need the discards to be passed down > > eventually, but I doubt it needs to be synchronous. Being able to run > > the equivalent of `fstrim -av` periodically would be amazing. I’m > > CC’ing Marek Marczykowski-Górecki (Qubes OS project lead) in case he > > has something to say. > > You could easily run in parallel individual blkdiscards for your thin LVs.... > For most modern drives thought it's somewhat waste of time... > > Those trimming tools should be used when they are solving some real > problems, running them just for fun is just energy & performance waste.... My understanding (which could be wrong) is that periodic trim is necessary for SSDs. > > > Also it's very important to keep metadata on fast storage device (SSD/NVMe)! > > > Keeping metadata on same hdd spindle as data is always going to feel slow > > > (in fact it's quite pointless to talk about performance and use hdd...) > > > > That explains why I had such a horrible experience with my initial > > (split between NVMe and HDD) install. I would not be surprised if some > > or all of the metadata volume wound up on the spinning disk. > > With lvm2 user can always 'pvmove' any LV to any desired PV. > There is not yet any 'smart' logic to do it automatically. Good point. I was probably unware of that at the time. -- Sincerely, Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers) Invisible Things Lab