On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 12:02:23PM +0100, Gionatan Danti wrote: > Il 2022-01-29 18:45 Demi Marie Obenour ha scritto: > > Is it possible to configure LVM2 so that it runs thin_trim before it > > activates a thin pool? Qubes OS currently runs blkdiscard on every thin > > volume before deleting it, which is slow and unreliable. Would running > > thin_trim during system startup provide a better alternative? > > I think that, if anything, it would be worse: a long discard during boot can > be problematic, even leading to timeout on starting other services. > After all, blkdiscard should be faster then something done at higher level. thin_trim is a userspace tool that works on an entire thin pool, and I suspect it may be significantly faster than blkdiscard of an individual thin volume. That said, what I would *really* like is something equivalent to fstrim for thin volumes: a tool that works asynchronously, in the background, without disrupting concurrent I/O. > -- > Danti Gionatan > Supporto Tecnico > Assyoma S.r.l. - www.assyoma.it > email: g.danti@assyoma.it - info@assyoma.it > GPG public key ID: FF5F32A8 FYI, you might want to specify a full fingerprint here; short key IDs are highly vulnerable to collision and preimage attacks. -- Sincerely, Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers) Invisible Things Lab