At 2019-09-23T10:36:16-0300, Raphael M Zinsly wrote: > > > +Geometry of the L1 data cache, that is, line size and number > > > +of ways. > > > > What is "number of ways"? > > It is the cache associativity, e.g.: 8 means the cache is 8-way set > associative. Yup. At some point when I wasn't looking, the "-way" in "n-way cache" got promoted from a partial adjective along the lines of "all cars must halt at the four-way stop sign" to a full-blooded noun and term of art. I bumped into it while proofreading a Ph.D. thesis[1]. To help familiarize practitioners with the new cloak of terminology draped over this hoary descendant of Old English "weg", I suggest adding a parenthetical: Geometry of the L1 data cache; that is, line size and number of ways (e.g., \(lq4-way associative\(rq). Regards, Branden [1] Ge, Qian, "Mitigating Microarchitecture-based Timing Channels with Lightweight Operating System Mechanisms", Ph.D. thesis, University of New South Wales, in press.