On Mon, 2020-05-04 at 18:38 +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote: > Hi Nicolas, > > On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 05:15:42PM +0200, Nicolas Saenz Julienne wrote: > > On Mon, 2020-05-04 at 12:25 +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote: > > > Hello, > > > > Hi Laurent, thanks for the series! > > Would you mind CCing on further iterations, I was lucky enough to find this > > referenced in twitter, and I'll be more than happy to review/test it. I'm > > the > > BCM2711/BCM2835 arm architecture & vc04_services maintainer :). > > > > An please also CC: > > bcm-kernel-feedback-list@broadcom.com > > linux-rpi-kernel@lists.infradead.org > > linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org > > Sure. I was so focussed on the userspace part and on getting everything > ready for today's release that I completely forgot to run the patches > through get_maintainers.pl and CC the appropriate people and lists. > Sorry about the oversight, I'll make sure to fix it next time. No worries! > Speaking of BCM2711/BCM2835 maintenance... :-) This series isn't > complete as it's missing full DT integration of camera sensor modules. > This is handled through DT overlays in the Raspberry Pi downstream > kernel, which are applied to the base DT by the boot loader (a neat > solution in my opinion). I wonder what we should do for mainline. > Ideally we should be able to at least use the DT overlays from the > downstream Raspberry Pi kernel on mainline, but that's not possible > today due to incompatibilities in the base DT (in particular related to > the I2C port to which the camera sensors are connected). Dave, have you > given that a thought by any chance ? Could you point out the specific overlays? I'd suggest to add an example in the bindings and/or sending a 'not to be picked-up' patch to the mailing lists showing how it's meant to work. That way people messing with that interface can at least find it and work from there. See here for example Eric Anholt dealing with a similar issue as yours https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/12/14/483. I can't say for other distributions, but in openSUSE we try to support the downstream overlays. BTW, is the I2C issue you mention related to this downstream patch 5bb4694516761 ('dt: Implement an I2C pinctrl mux for BSC0')? > Another more general question for Nicolas, is there a plan to try and > get vc04_services out of staging ? There's noone going at it seriously. I try to make the occasional cleanup here and there, and the occasional patch might show up. But that's the extent of it. I'm interested in biting the bullet but I've been fairly busy. Maybe this series can motivate people into investing more time into it :). Regards, Nicolas