On Tue, 2017-06-20 at 18:49 +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote: > On 20.06.2017 18:44, Rik van Riel wrote: > > Nitesh Lal (on the CC list) is working on a way > > to efficiently batch recently freed pages for > > free page hinting to the hypervisor. > > > > If that is done efficiently enough (eg. with > > MADV_FREE on the hypervisor side for lazy freeing, > > and lazy later re-use of the pages), do we still > > need the harder to use batch interface from this > > patch? > > > > David's opinion incoming: > > No, I think proper free page hinting would be the optimum solution, > if > done right. This would avoid the batch interface and even turn > virtio-balloon in some sense useless. I agree with that. Let me go into some more detail of what Nitesh is implementing: 1) In arch_free_page, the being-freed page is added to a per-cpu set of freed pages. 2) Once that set is full, arch_free_pages goes into a slow path, which: 2a) Iterates over the set of freed pages, and 2b) Checks whether they are still free, and 2c) Adds the still free pages to a list that is to be passed to the hypervisor, to be MADV_FREEd. 2d) Makes that hypercall. Meanwhile all arch_alloc_pages has to do is make sure it does not allocate a page while it is currently being MADV_FREEd on the hypervisor side. The code Wei is working on looks like it could be suitable for steps (2c) and (2d) above. Nitesh already has code for steps 1 through 2b. -- All rights reversed