So any arch code which uses page_mapping_file() might get the wrong answer, this function will return NULL for a swap backed page which can be a shmem pages. But shmem pages can still be shared among multiple process (and possibly at different virtual addresses if mremap was use). Attached is a patch that changes page_mapping_file() to return the shmem mapping for swap backed shmem page. I have not tested it (no way for me to test all those architecture) and i spotted this while working on something else. So i hope someone can take a closer look. Cheers, Jérôme