Hi! > > > > Pavel just mentioned uswsusp, and I wonder if it would be a possible > > > > alternative to this patch. > > > > > > I think you're right that it would be possible to isolate the > > > hibernate image with uswsusp if you avoid using the SNAPSHOT_*SWAP* > > > ioctls. But I'd expect performance to suffer noticeably, since now > > > every page is making a round trip out to usermode and back. I'd still > > > very much use the HIBERNATE_ONLY flag if it were accepted, I think > > > there's value to it. > > > > The uswsusp option makes your patch a performance optimization rather > > than a feature-add. And we do like to see quantitative testing results > > when considering a performance optimization. Especially when the > > performance optimization is a bit icky, putting special-case testing > > all over the place, maintenance cost, additional testing effort, etc. > > > > I do think that diligence demands that we quantify the difference. Is > > this a thing you can help with? > > I'm wrong about the performance. Uswsusp is just as fast, and possibly > faster in my use case than kernel-driven hibernate. What's more, > uswsusp also helps me solve several additional problems I hadn't > tackled yet that were looming in front of me. Thanks all for your > patience and thoughtful review on this. Great to see uswsusp being used :-). Thanks, Pavel -- http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek