On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Al Viro wrote: \> > It is right - for one thing, we are holding the lock on that LRU list, > so list_lru_del() would deadlock right there. For another, the same > list_lru_walk (OK, list_lru_walk_node()) will do ->nr_items decrement > when we return LRU_REMOVED to it, so we don't want to do it twice. > Plain list_del_init() is correct here. Yes. And I found the opposite bug in one place: when we are collecting dentries by walking the parents etc, we do *not* hold the global RCU lock, so we cannot use the "d_lru_shrink_list()" thing after all. It's correct as far as the internal logic of fs/dcache.c goes, but it violates the global LRU list rules. So I replaced that with a dentry_lru_del() followed by a d_shrink_add() instead. Updated patch attached. Linus