On Fri, Mar 22 2019, J. Bruce Fields wrote: > I've gotten complaints about the same thing and said "well, in > retrospect we shouldn't have designed the interface this way, but we > did, so just stop opening those files". As the fool who actually "designed" this, I can say with some confidence that the intention was always the requests would block for at most 30 seconds. Unfortunately the implementation was sloppy and the testing was haphazard. > > But maybe this is a reasonable compromise. > > One advantage of waiting for mountd to come back is that you could > upgrade mountd in place. That shouldn't take 30 seconds, though. And I > haven't heard of anyone actually doing that. Surely upgrading of mountd in-place happens whenever you install a new version. That was (iirc) the main reason for not treating a recent close as fatal. > > It's too bad that not opening auth.unix.gid is the only way for mountd > to communicate that gids shouldn't be mapped. I have a general preference for reusing existing functionality rather than creating new special-purpose functionality. I think this has served me well more often than not. Maybe this is one case of "not". If you want to restart mountd without --managed-gids (where previously it had that option), there is a chance that you will hit this problem. That is a case where the answer "just stop opening those files" doesn't really apply. Thanks, NeilBrown > > --b. > > On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 01:16:56PM +1100, NeilBrown wrote: >> If no handler (such as rpc.mountd) has opened >> a cache 'channel', the sunrpc cache responds to >> all lookup requests with -ENOENT. This is particularly >> important for the auth.unix.gid cache which is >> optional. >> >> If the channel was open briefly and an upcall was written to it, >> this upcall remains pending even when the handler closes the >> channel. When an upcall is pending, the code currently >> doesn't check if there are still listeners, it only performs >> that check before sending an upcall. >> >> As the cache treads a recently closes channel (closed less than >> 30 seconds ago) as "potentially still open", there is a >> reasonable sized window when a request can become pending >> in a closed channel, and thereby block lookups indefinitely. >> >> This can easily be demonstrated by running >> cat /proc/net/rpc/auth.unix.gid/channel >> >> and then trying to mount an NFS filesystem from this host. It >> will block indefinitely (unless mountd is run with --manage-gids, >> or krb5 is used). >> >> When cache_check() finds that an upcall is pending, it should >> perform the "cache_listeners_exist()" exist test. If no >> listeners do exist, the request should be negated. >> >> With this change in place, there can still be a 30second wait on >> mount, until the cache gives up waiting for a handler to come >> back, but this is much better than an indefinite wait. >> >> Signed-off-by: NeilBrown >> --- >> net/sunrpc/cache.c | 4 +++- >> 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-) >> >> diff --git a/net/sunrpc/cache.c b/net/sunrpc/cache.c >> index 12bb23b8e0c5..be9e29385adc 100644 >> --- a/net/sunrpc/cache.c >> +++ b/net/sunrpc/cache.c >> @@ -40,6 +40,7 @@ >> >> static bool cache_defer_req(struct cache_req *req, struct cache_head *item); >> static void cache_revisit_request(struct cache_head *item); >> +static bool cache_listeners_exist(struct cache_detail *detail); >> >> static void cache_init(struct cache_head *h, struct cache_detail *detail) >> { >> @@ -303,7 +304,8 @@ int cache_check(struct cache_detail *detail, >> cache_fresh_unlocked(h, detail); >> break; >> } >> - } >> + } else if (!cache_listeners_exist(detail)) >> + rv = try_to_negate_entry(detail, h); >> } >> >> if (rv == -EAGAIN) { >> -- >> 2.14.0.rc0.dirty >>