linux-nfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: David Windsor <dwindsor@redhat.com>
To: greearb@candelatech.com
Cc: linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org, swhiteho <swhiteho@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Support for VRF in NFS?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 11:39:54 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 9:48 AM Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:

> On 11/12/2018 06:21 AM, David Windsor wrote:
> > Forwarding to linux-nfs because I forgot to disable HTML formatting
> > when originally replying.

Yes.  DLM is used in clustered environments to provide access to
resources.  The DLM runs on every node in the cluster and normally
uses TCP as its L4 transport (SCTP is also supported, but not widely
used).  Currently, DLM over TCP is restricted to only supporting one
IP address per node.

I'm working on extensions to DLM to allow it to support multihoming at
the TCP layer, as well as adding extensions to make it more robust in
the face of network failures (retransmitting lost messages, automatic
failover to the next available interface, etc.).

> In general, having enough ip tables rules to support 2000 virtual interfaces/mounts
> appears less efficient than using VRF, and VRF gives some additional abilities such
> as allowing duplicated IP addresses, so that is why we are interested in
> VRF.
>
> My existing patches do support multi-homing using iptables rules though.

Thanks.  I'm currently looking at these and seeing if any common bits
can be extracted and made into a more generic interface.