Hello James, Nicholas & others, Please allow me to join the conversation: Le dimanche 14 février 2021 à 11:23 -0500, James Carlson a écrit : > RFC 2472 is a little weird with respect to the Interface-Identifier > option. It's possible to send an all-zero identifier, but we're really > in uncharted waters if the peer can't give us an address or rejects the > option. Could I suggest that then IPv6CP just fails? > This sort of makes sense given that IPv6 itself just doesn't > work at all (no ICMPv6 ND means no work gets done) without a local > address, so it's not something anyone has really explored. Well, I actually sent last year a patch (attached again to this message) to Paul and Cc'ed here about sending a zero identifier to do exactly (to my understanding) what Nicholas is intending to do: let the “server”-side choose the interface identifier. It is a very small change that is basically activated on the “client”- side with: ipv6 ::, thus sending a zero identifier for our side. It worked quite well for my work case (virtual serial links), where having short addresses when autoconfiguring helps a lot, too. I couldn't resist also citing the “stability to global scope addresses” argument from the RFC, which is indeed relevant to me, at least. What do you think about it? Regards, -- Benjamin