On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 15:56 +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote: > On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 12:05:33PM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote: > > Please take a look (I pushed it out to my wip/dl-for-rc branch) so > > you > > can see what I mean about how to make both a simple subject line and > > a > > decent commit message. Also, no final punctuation on the subject > > line, > > and try to keep the subject length <= 50 chars total. If you have > > to go > > over to have a decent subject, then so be it, but we strive for that > > 50 > > char limit to make a subject stay on one line when displayed using > > git > > log --oneline. > > 50 is really small. 50 is the vim syntax highlighting suggested limit. You can go over, which is why I indicated it was a soft limit, but there you are. It leaves room for the displayed hash length to grow as well. > If it were based on git log --oneline output the > limit would be 67 characters. Only if you don't include room for the hash size to grow and other possible things, like a tag. > If you look at actual kernel git commits > then the average subject is 52.4 characters and probably the upper > bound > is 60+ or so. Yep, probably largely due to that very same vim syntax highlighting :-) > I was surprised how well I had done personally at generating subjects > when I looked at my own git log. > > My shortest subject was commit 0746556beab1 ("bna: off by one"). That > was from 10 years ago and is not up to my current standards. My > longest > was commit 49d3d6c37a32 ("drivers/misc/sgi-gru/grukdump.c: unlocking > should be conditional in gru_dump_context()"), but originally I used > "gru:" as the patch prefix and Andrew changed it. :P > > regards, > dan carpenter -- Doug Ledford GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD Fingerprint = AE6B 1BDA 122B 23B4 265B 1274 B826 A333 0E57 2FDD