linux-rdma.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Stefan Metzmacher <metze@samba.org>
To: Dennis Dalessandro <dennis.dalessandro@cornelisnetworks.com>,
	Linux RDMA <linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org>,
	Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ziepe.ca>,
	Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
Cc: kaike.wan@intel.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] bulk zero copy transport
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:18:39 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Dennis,

just as a wild idea, would be an option to use the SMB-Direct [1] protocol defined here?

It basically provides a stream/packet like transport based on IB_WR_SEND[_WITH_INV]
and in addition it allows direct memory transfers with IB_WR_RDMA_READ or IB_WR_RDMA_WRITE.

It's called SMB-Direct as it's currently used as a transport for the SMB3 protocol,
but it could also be used as transport for other things.

Over the last years I've been working on a PF_SMBDIRECT socket driver [2]
as a hobby project in order to support it for Samba. It's not yet production ready
and has known memory leaks, but the basics already work. The api [3] is based on
sendmsg/recvmsg with using MSG_OOB with msg->msg_control for direct memory transfers.
I'll actually use it with IORING_OP_SENDMSG and IORING_OP_RECVMSG, which allow msg->msg_control
starting 5.12 kernels.

metze

[1] https://winprotocoldoc.blob.core.windows.net/productionwindowsarchives/MS-SMBD/%5bMS-SMBD%5d.pdf
[2] https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/linux/smbdirect.git;a=summary