linux-rdma.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Dennis Dalessandro <dennis.dalessandro@intel.com>
To: Leon Romanovsky <leon@kernel.org>, Jens Domke <jens.domke@riken.jp>
Cc: Haim Boozaglo <haimbo@mellanox.com>, linux-rdma@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: "ibstat -l" displays CA device list in an unsorted order
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 08:42:57 -0500	[thread overview]

On 2/25/2020 2:43 PM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
>> I (and highly likely many other admins out there who don't follow this
>> list) am in full support of Haim's request for sorted output.
>
> I don't see any API or utils in the rdma-core which promised to provide
> sorted output.

That is true, but when sys admins count on things in a certain way and
the rug gets pulled out from under them that's a headache at best.

>> Not everything can/will be pinned down in a manpage, but if you insist
>> then sure someone can submit a amendment to the ibstat documentation
>> which demands alphanumeric sorting for the NICs/ports.
>
> The manual is not enough, what about other tools? Should we update them
> too? Or do we need to make ibstat special while rest of the tools keep
> the list unsorted?
>
> Maybe I'm part of the problem, but any solution will require unified
> approach for whole rdma-core, so users like you will get stable and
> consistent result from any rdma-core API/tool.

So am I understanding this right, the crux of the problem is the code
switched from using scandir() via libibumad to readdir(). The later of
which does not keep the same sorted order?

Maybe let's look at why the change was done in the first place rather
than arguing over which way it should be. Is there a good reason to go
with readdir() approach if so then maybe that out weights the
inconvenience of not getting a sorted list. Or maybe it doesn't.

-Denny