On Fri, 22 Feb 2019, Christopher Lameter wrote: > On Fri, 22 Feb 2019, Björn Töpel wrote: > > > > The problem is that the register needs to be referenced by the amo > > > instruction. Can amoadd increment an address relative to a scratch > > > register? > > > > > > > It cannot. So, we'll end up with (at least) a preempt disabled region... > > If we need to do that then we already have so much overhead due to that > processing that it may not be worthwhile. lc/sc overhead is minor compared > to switching preempt on and off I think. Is it strictly necessary to disable and re-enable preemption? On a UMA system, it might be preferable to risk the cost of the cache line bounce than to flip preemption off and on - assuming there's no other impact. - Paul