On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 01:27:08PM -0300, Ezequiel Garcia wrote: > On Thu, 2020-10-29 at 14:15 +0000, Robin Murphy wrote: > > Or maybe the regmap API itself deserves extending with a "deferred" > > operating mode where updates to the cached state can be separated from > > committing that state to the underlying hardware. > > ...which, after a brief code search out of curiosity, apparently already > > exists in the form of regcache_cache_only()/regcache_sync(), so there's > > probably no need to reinvent it :) > To be fair, and despite it could seem an anti-pattern, this particular > wheel is so tiny and trivial, that I'm starting to seriously consider > reinventing it. > I've been thinking long about this but just can't seem to see exactly > what benefit we're getting from using MMIO regmaps here, > as opposed to just a simple macro with an index, a mask, and an offset. As a rule of thumb if you're not using a cache or fitting into some other higher level framework stuff that uses regmap then I wouldn't bother for MMIO devices.