On Thu 2019-04-04 14:48:35, Dmitry Torokhov wrote: > On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 1:42 PM Pavel Machek wrote: > > > > Hi! > > > > > > > And what to do if internal keyboard is not platform but USB? Like > > > > > Google "Whiskers"? (I am not sure why you decided to drop my mention > > > > > of internal USB keyboards completely off your reply). > > > > > > > > I don't have answers for everything. Even if you have USB keyboard, you'll > > > > likely still have backlight connected to embedded controller. If not, > > > > then maybe you have exception userland needs to know about. > > > > > > > > Still better than making everything an exception. > > > > > > You do not need to make everything exception. You just need to look > > > beyond the name, and see how the device is connected. And then apply > > > your exceptions for "weird" devices. > > > > "Where it is connected" is not interesting to the userland. "Is it > > backlight for internal keyboard" is the right question. It may be > > connected to embedded controller or some kind of controller over > > i2c... my shell scripts should not need to know about architecture of > > every notebook out there. > > Then your scripts will be failing for some setups. Well, yes. Do you want to guess what "lp5523:kb3" is? > > But I don't see why I should do additional work when its trivial for > > kernel to just name the LED in an useful way. > > > > "platform::kbd_backlight" has no disadvantages compared to > > "wilco::kbd_backlight" ... so lets just use it. > > It has disadvantages because it promises more than it can deliver IMO. > If device name != "platform::kbd_backlight" it does not mean that it > is not internal keyboard. My promise is if "platform::kbd_backlight" exists, it is backlight for internal keyboard. (And second half is "if it is easy for kernel, we name backlight for internal keyboard platform::kbd_backlight"). > And you still have not resolved how you will > handle cases when there is more than one deice that can be considered > internal and may have a backlight. Is that realistic? How would that device look like? Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html