On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 11:51:18AM +0200, Thomas Weißschuh wrote: > Hi Kees, > > On 2024-05-08 10:11:35+0000, Kees Cook wrote: > > On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 08:12:34PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote: > > > On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:54:35 +0200 Thomas Weißschuh wrote: > > > > The series was split from my larger series sysctl-const series [0]. > > > > It only focusses on the proc_handlers but is an important step to be > > > > able to move all static definitions of ctl_table into .rodata. > > > > > > Split this per subsystem, please. > > > > I've done a few painful API transitions before, and I don't think the > > complexity of these changes needs a per-subsystem constification pass. I > > think this series is the right approach, but that patch 11 will need > > coordination with Linus. We regularly do system-wide prototype changes > > like this right at the end of the merge window before -rc1 comes out. > > That sounds good. > > > The requirements are pretty simple: it needs to be a obvious changes > > (this certainly is) and as close to 100% mechanical as possible. I think > > patch 11 easily qualifies. Linus should be able to run the same Coccinelle > > script and get nearly the same results, etc. And all the other changes > > need to have landed. This change also has no "silent failure" conditions: > > anything mismatched will immediately stand out. > > Unfortunately coccinelle alone is not sufficient, as some helpers with > different prototypes are called by handlers and themselves are calling > handler and therefore need to change in the same commit. > But if I add a diff for those on top of the coccinelle script to the > changelog it should be obvious. Judging by Kees' comment on "100% mechanical", it might be better just having the diff and have Linus apply than rather than two step process? Have not these types of PRs, so am interested in what folks think. > > > So, have patches 1-10 go via their respective subsystems, and once all > > of those are in Linus's tree, send patch 11 as a stand-alone PR. > > Ack, I'll do that with the cover letter information requested by Joel. > > > (From patch 11, it looks like the seccomp read/write function changes > > could be split out? I'll do that now...) > > Thanks! > > Thomas -- Joel Granados