linux-toolchains.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com>
To: Will Deacon <will@kernel.org>,
	Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@redhat.com>,
	Julien Thierry <jthierry@redhat.com>,
	Bill Wendling <morbo@google.com>
Cc: "Jose E. Marchesi" <jemarch@gnu.org>,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@kernel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org>,
	Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@kernel.org>,
	Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@arm.com>,
	Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com>,
	linux-toolchains@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux Plumbers Conf 2021
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 13:35:15 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 4:01 PM Nick Desaulniers
<ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:

> + linux-toolchains
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 5:14 AM Will Deacon <will@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > [+cc relevant folks]
> >
> > (sorry this is so late)
> >
> > On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 10:38:09AM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> > > This year the Linux Plumbers Conference (https://linuxplumbersconf.org) will
> > > be fully virtual, and will happen from September 20-24th 2021.
> > >
> > > As part of the event, we are organizing a `Toolchains and Kernel
> > > Micro-conference' devoted to discuss specific topics involving kernel and
> > > toolchain.  It will cover both the GNU Toolchain and LLVM.
> > >
> > > As in previous years, the emphasis will be in discussing specific topics that
> > > require collaboration/interaction between the kernel and the toolchain chaps.
> > > Examples of topics are wrapping of syscalls, specific features in the
> > > compiler/linker/etc that are used by the kernel, desired optimizations,
> > > features to alleviate security concerns on the kernel side, and the like.
> > >
> > > In order to get the Micro-Conference accepted we need to provide a list of
> > > both topics and prospective attendants, so that's why I am reaching out to you
> > > asking for:
> > >
> > > 1) Topics your project may want to discuss with the kernel hackers, during the
> > >    event.
> > >
> > > 2) Whether you are willing to contribute and/or participate in the
> > >    micro-conference.
> > >
> > > Please let us know @ jemarch@gnu.org & ndesaulniers@google.com.
> >
> > If it's not too late, I'd definitely be interested in a discussion around
> > objtool support for arm64. Specifically, I would very much like us _not_
> > to have a hard dependency on objtool and instead treat it as a binary
> > linter of sorts. However, this likely requires help from the toolchain
> > where some of the jobs which are performed by objtool on x86 today now
> > need to be done by the compiler/linker for arm64.
> >
> > I don't have a good handle on exactly what is needed and whether there's
> > any appetite from the toolchain developers to implement this, so it would
> > be very helpful to kick that discussion off.

Hi Will, Josh, Julien, and Bill,
Our MC has been formally accepted:
https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/blog/2021/index.php/2021/06/21/toolchains-and-kernel-microconference-accepted-into-2021-linux-plumbers-conference/

Would you mind please submitting a formal talk proposal at:
https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/event/11/abstracts/

In the bottom right, click "Submit new proposal" then make sure to
select "Toolchains and Kernel" under the Track dropdown.

The Content field will be what's shown to attendees.  We'd like to
close our CFP by August 14th, 2021.

~Nick Desaulniers