linux-trace-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ziepe.ca>
To: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
Cc: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <arnaldo.melo@gmail.com>,
	Jiri Olsa <jolsa@redhat.com>,
	Sudip Mukherjee <sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org>,
	Namhyung Kim <namhyung@kernel.org>,
	Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org>,
	Linux Trace Devel <linux-trace-devel@vger.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>,
	users@linux.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [kernel.org users] [RFC] tools lib traceevent: How to do library versioning being in the Linux kernel source?
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 13:44:48 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 03:52:32PM -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 16:47:15 -0400
> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ziepe.ca> wrote:
>
> > If it is not tightly linked to the kernel and is just a normal
>
> Well, it's used by perf, trace-cmd, power-top and rasdaemon (and
> perhaps even more). It lives in the kernel tree mainly because of perf.

I see

> > With github actions now able to provide a quite good CI it covers a
> > lot of required stuff for a library in one place, in a way that
> > doesn't silo all the build infrastucture.
>
> Github has ways to help with libraries? I'm totally clueless about
> this. I'm interested in hearing more.

These days it is a lot of work to get a library ready for the
distributions and github now has a built-in CI (git hub actions) that
lets projects run through all the build and in some cases runtime
tests needed often and automatically.

For instance we build rdma-core for Centos 6,78, Fedora 31, Ubuntu,
SuSe, cross compile on ARM and PPC, all automatically and all drive
from a fairly short script in the source tree, so anyone can
contribute.

The release process to .tar.gz (and distro packages if we wanted) is
also automated via the same. Push a tag and all the release stuff is
done and the right .tar.gz appears automatically in the right place.

It is nothing so unique, but having everything nicely integrated in
one place makes it possible for a project to spend a small amount of
time on CI and administration stuff instead of a large amount :)

Jason