linux-unionfs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com>
To: Carl Karsten <carl@nextdayvideo.com>
Cc: overlayfs <linux-unionfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: failed to verify upper - halts boot
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 07:55:01 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 4:38 AM Carl Karsten <carl@nextdayvideo.com> wrote:

> I powercyced my box, I'm assuming I did a sudo poweroff or halt or
> something, but maybe not.
>
> It got stuck, (enter rescue mode, root account disabled, hit enter to
> enter rescue mode... )  so I killed power.
>
> I edited fstab, changed auto to noauto, booted.
>
> overlay   /srv/nfs/rpi/bullseye/boot/merged    overlay
> noauto,defaults,ro,lowerdir=/srv/nfs/rpi/bullseye/boot/updates:/srv/nfs/rpi/bullseye/boot/setup:/srv/nfs/rpi/bullseye/boot/base,upperdir=/srv/nfs/rpi/bullseye/boot/play,workdir=/srv/nfs/rpi/bullseye/boot/work,nfs_export=on
>    0   0
>
> # mount /srv/nfs/rpi/bullseye/boot/merged
> mount: /srv/nfs/rpi/bullseye/boot/merged: mount(2) system call failed:
> Stale file handle.
>
> dmesg shows:
>
> [   45.941350] overlayfs: failed to verify upper (boot/play,
> ino=379405, err=-116)
> [   45.941369] overlayfs: failed to verify index dir 'upper' xattr
> [   45.941379] overlayfs: try deleting index dir or mounting with '-o
> index=off' to disable inodes index.

Did you by any change re-create boot/play dir without re-creating
boot/work dir? because that is what that message means.
I doubt it has to do with the power cycle.

> It is a bit concerning that I need to consider a power cycle may
> require local console use.  I plan on managing this remotely.  For now
> I'll leave it noauto and remotely mount when needed.  so this isn't a
> critical blocker to me.
>
> What would happen:  errors=remount-ro
>
> errors={continue|remount-ro|panic}
>     Define the behavior  when  an  error  is  encountered.  The
> default is set in the filesystem superblock,  ...     and can be
> changed using tune2fs(8).

This looks like a quote from the man page section about ext2 mount options.
Those are not options supported for overlayfs.

Anyway, with that error, as the kernel log says, you could have mounted
overlayfs ro with -o index=off and we could have added a mount option
to fallback to ro mount with index=off, but that means no nfs_export,
so not sure if that is what you wanted.

Thanks,
Amir.