Il giorno lun, 23/12/2019 alle 12.22 -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o ha scritto: > On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 05:29:27PM +0100, Andrea Vai wrote: > > I run the cp command from a bash script, or from a bash shell. I > don't > > know if this answer your question, otherwise feel free to tell me > a > > way to find the answer to give you. > > What distro are you using, and/or what package is the cp command > coming from, and what is the package name and version? Fedora 30 $ rpm -qf `which cp` coreutils-8.31-6.fc30.x86_64 > > Also, can you remind me what the bash script is and how many files > you are copying? basically, it's: mount UUID=$uuid /mnt/pendrive SECONDS=0 cp $testfile /mnt/pendrive umount /mnt/pendrive tempo=$SECONDS and it copies one file only. Anyway, you can find the whole script attached. > > Can you change the script so that the cp command is prefixed by: > > "strace -tTf -o /tmp/st " > > e.g., > > strace -tTf -o /tmp/st cp > > And then send me btw, please tell me if "me" means only you or I cc: all the recipients, as usual > the /tmp/st file. This will significantly change the > time, so don't do this for measuring performance. I just want to > see > what the /bin/cp command is *doing*. I will do it, but I have a doubt. Since the problem doesn't happen every time, is it useful to give you a trace of a "fast" run? And, if it's not, I think I should measure performance with the trace command prefix, to identify a "slow" run to report you. Does it make sense? Thanks, Andrea