From: Dominik Schmidt <dominik@schm1dt.ch>
To: linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
Cc: mail@maciej.szmigiero.name, james.morris@microsoft.com
Subject: Kernel hangs on regulatory.db X.509 key initialization
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 10:38:09 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi there!

I'm running a Gentoo Linux on an APU2C2-Board (AMD Jaguar GX-412TC x86_64), with
an Atheros QCA9882 (ath10k) and an Atheros AR9280 (ath9k) card.

The kernels after 4.18 do not reach userspace any longer. They just somehow
"freeze" without emitting any oops or kernel panic. I've tracked the issue
down to the cfg80211 subsystem and a change in the X.509 parser:

* If I do not compile cfg80211 into the kernel, it starts perfectly (minus wireless)

* Bisecting the issue shows that it starts with
	https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b65c32ec5a942ab3ada93a048089a938918aba7f

* The last message I see in the logs is this one:
	cfg80211: Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates for regulatory database
  defined at
	https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/net/wireless/reg.c#n770

* If I add another pr_notice to the end of that function, it is never displayed.

* It seems to get stuck at the call to key_create_or_update, here:
	https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/net/wireless/reg.c#n735

* If I throw more pr_notices at key_create_or_update, the last one I see
  is before this memset:
	https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/security/keys/key.c#n843

* As an additional hindrance, this problem occurs only on the APU2 board,
  and not when running the same kernel in a Qemu-VM

Any idea what could be the cause of this, or hints as to how to
debug this further?

Cheers
Dominik