On 04/22/10 11:05, Walter Goldens wrote: >>> I think I spoke too early. Must have been a snarl up >> at my end, because even removing the "#" comment sign before >> "CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT30XX=y" in config.mk doesn't solve the >> detection problem. >>> >>> I just concluded a test with today's compat-wireless >> /April 20/, enabled "CONFIG_RT2800USB_RT30XX=y" in >> config.mk, but rt2800usb doesn't detect the VIDs and >> subsequently fails to initialize the device. Adding, however >> the card's VIDs in the upper portion of code appears to >> solve the case. I welcome you to test yourself. >>> >>> The good news is, once we get past the detection >> debacle the device seems to finally show some life. >>> >> >> I just checked with the compat-wireless of April 18, and >> with me removing the '#' sign in config.mk does the trick. >> I can't explain why it doesn't work for you, but I cannot >> see anything wrong with compat-wireless or with rt2x00 >> inside compat-wireless. >> >> -- >> Gertjan. > > The problem remains. I have two cards: rt3070 and rt3071, their respective VIDs are 148f:3070 and 148f:3071. They are both undetected. Just tried "compat-wireless-2010-04-21.tar.bz2" with enabled "CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT30XX=y" in config.mk - no go. > > The rt2800usb does not pick the VIDs, here is the log from modinfo rt2800usb: > > > no "3070" or "3071" at all. > > The closest to my VIDs are these here: > alias: usb:v148Fp2870d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* > alias: usb:v148Fp2770d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* > > So basically the driver only works if I manually add them to code above. Config.mk doesn't seem to change anything. > > The problem as I recall first occurred in late January or some time in February when someone decided to remove large portion of the VIDs from the code because of driver collisions and I suppose the purpose of it was to reshuffle VID tables and insert some sort of order. Since then, compat-wireless does not automatically provide drivers for the rt307x via rt2800usb. To this point, only manual modification and inserting of the VIDs above solves the problem. > > I'm a 100% certain of this. Even if your cards have different VIDs /not 148f:3070/, just install compat-wireless with enabled rt307X support and see if "modinfo rt2800usb |grep 3070" returns something. Then you'll be able to verify my reports. > As I mentioned, I am not experiencing this. See attached the modinfo output for the modules that I built with a clean compat-wireless package. The only way I can explain this is that on your system, for some reason, changes to config.mk are not picked up by the build system. Can you try removing the include/linux/compat_autoconf.h file (from the root of the compat-wireless tree), and then run a make clean, followed by a make. --- Gertjan.