Sam Ravnborg wrote: > On Thursday 27 November 2003 00:27, Adam Kropelin wrote: >> Lately I've noticed my kernel compilations taking longer than usual. >> Tonight I finally realized the cause... Parallel building (i.e. make >> -jN) is no longer working for me. I traced it back and the last >> kernel it worked in was -test5. It ceased working in -test6. > It works for me, and for sure it works for most others. Otherwise I > would have seen lot of complaints like yours. > I recall one similar post, and the person in question used a homegrown > script that caused the problems. > > Could you try to post: > a) Exact command used when building the kernel. make oldconfig make -j2 install (Also tried 'make -j2 bzImage' with no change in behavior observed.) I always do this directly from the command line, no special scripts. > b) Output of kernel compile [first 100 lines] after a make clean Attached since I'm sure this mail client will wrap it horribly otherwise. I enabled verbose mode for the capture since I figured you probably wanted all the details you could get. This particular compile is for -test6, the first non-working version. An additional item I just noticed...I do see 2 parallel builds for the very first part of the session (when various items in the scripts/ directory are being compiled). As soon as the scripts/ directory is finished, I only see one process and my idle cpu usage jumps to about 40% (from 0%). I'm happy to try anything else you wish... --Adam