On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 12:45, Con Kolivas wrote: > On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:32, Nick Piggin wrote: > > What you are doing is restricting some range so it can adapt more quickly > > right? So you still have the problem in the cases where you are not > > restricting this range. > > Avoiding it becoming interactive in the first place is the answer. Anything > more rapid and X dies dead as soon as you start moving a window for example, > and new apps are seen as cpu hogs during startup and will take _forever_ to > start under load. It's a tricky juggling act and I keep throwing more balls > at it. generally that's a sign that the approach might not be the best one. Lets face it: we're trying to estimate behavior here. Result: There ALWAYS will be mistakes in that estimator. The more complex the estimator the fewer such cases you will have, but the more mis-estimated such cases will be. The only way to really deal with estimators is to *ALSO* make the price you pay on mis-estimation acceptable. For the scheduler that most likely means that you can't punish as hard as we do now, nor give bonuses as much as we do now.