On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 11:15 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote: > > BTW., the reason this is enabled on all distro kernels is because the overhead is  > a single patched-in NOP instruction in the function epilogue, when tracing is  > disabled. So it's not even a CALL+RET - it's a patched in NOP. Hm? We still have GCC emitting 'call __fentry__' don't we? Would be nice to get to the point where we can patch *that* out into a NOP... or are you saying we already can? But this is a digression. I was being pedantic about the "0 cycles" but sure, this would be perfectly tolerable.