On Sat, 31 Jul 2021, Christophe Leroy wrote: > > > > Stan Johnson contacted me about a regression in mainline that he > > observed on his G3 Powerbooks. Using 'git bisect' we determined that > > this patch was the cause of the regression, i.e. commit 4c0104a83fc3 > > ("powerpc/32: Dismantle EXC_XFER_STD/LITE/TEMPLATE"). > > > > When testing 4c0104a83fc and all subsequent builds, various user > > processes were liable to segfault. Here is the console log that Stan > > provided: > > Hi, i will be able to look at that more in details next week, however I > have a few preliminary qurstions. > > Can you reliabily reproduce the problem with the said commit, and can > you reliabily run without problem with the parent commit ? Yes and yes. (I already asked Stan to establish those things before I contacted the list.) > I'm asking because at first look that commit doesn't bring any > functionnal change. > > Coukd you provide your .config ? > Please see attached. My understanding is that all of Stan's builds were performed like this: $ cp ../dot-config-powermac-5.13 .config $ make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-gnu- -j4 clean olddefconfig vmlinux > Could you try without CONFIG_VMAP_STACK > Stan, would you please test the following build: $ git checkout v5.13 $ cp ../dot-config-powermac-5.13 .config $ scripts/config -d CONFIG_VMAP_STACK $ make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-gnu- -j4 clean olddefconfig vmlinux