On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:29:05 EDT, Pat Suwalski said: > I have not seen a computer in the last year and a half that has not had > either onboard sound or a card. It is very standard hardware these days. > Therefore, your soundcard should work just like your keyboard does. You > do not have to add any lines to any rc script to get the keyboard > working, do you? Sound should not have to be any different, in an ideal > world. Users come in two basic flavors - distro based users and people who roll their own kernels. For the distro users, it really doesn't matter WHAT we do, as the distro can patch the kernel and userspace how they want. If you're a roll-your-own, you don't have to add lines to an rc script to get the keyboard working - but you DO have to do the CONFIG_INPUT thing. ;)