On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:22:28AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote: > On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Mark Brown > > tags or not.  Either that or complain bitterly and mock me if I'm so > > foolish as to have a tag and branch with the same name. > I won't mock you (*this* time), but I think the "tags/for-linus" > approach is better, as it should work regardless of git version. Yes, indeed - so probably git request-pull ought to just do that when working with a tag (which I guess it knows it's doing because it managed to add the information it pulled from the tag into the pull request) since it'll help with old versions and avoids confusions like this.