On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 04:25:56PM +0100, Thomas Preston wrote: > On 30/07/2019 15:19, Mark Brown wrote: > > It is unclear what this mutex usefully protects, it only gets taken when > > writing to the debugfs file to trigger this diagnostic mode but doesn't > > do anything to control interactions with any other code path in the > > driver. > If another process reads the debugfs node "diagnostic" while the turn-on > diagnostic mode is running, this mutex prevents the second process > restarting the diagnostics. > This is redundant if debugfs reads are atomic, but I don't think they are. Like I say it's not just debugfs though, there's the standard driver interface too.