On Sun 2019-10-06 11:06:38, Linus Torvalds wrote: > On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 10:35 AM Pavel Machek wrote: > > > > It will not: boot is now halted because systemd wants some > > entropy. Everything is idle and very little interrupts are > > happening. We have spinning rust, but it is idle, and thus not > > generating any interrupts. > > Yes, but we have that problem now solved. > > Except on embedded platforms that have garbage CPU's without even a > cycle counter. > > But those won't have spinning rust anyway. > > Yes, bad SSD's and MMC disks (that they do have) will generate timing > noise too, but in the absense of a cycle counter, that noise won't be > much use. Even without cycle counter... if we _know_ we are trying to generate entropy and have MMC available, we don't care about power and performance. So we can just... issue read request on MMC while (!interrupt_done) i++ ...and then use i++ as poor man's version of cycle counter. [We would not want to do that in normal operation, for obvious reasons, just when userland is blocked and waiting for entropy.] Hmm? Best regards, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html