Hi! > > Should we fix gcc, instead? > > Also, this is allowed in the C standard, and both clang and gcc > sometimes emit code that does not clear padding in structures. Changing > the compiler to not do this would be wonderful, but we still have to > live with this for the next 10 years as those older compilers age-out. I agree C standard allows this. It allows to even worse stuff. I was just surprised that gcc does that.. and that I did not know about this trap. I was probably telling people to do = {} for structure init... Should we get "= {}" warning for checkpatch? Is it fair to replace "= {}" with memset() as soon as it is returned to userland, without testing that gcc "miscompiles" this particular example? Best regards, Pavel -- DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany