On Wed, Jun 03, 2020 at 11:37:44AM +0000, Steve Lee wrote: > > This is now reading the size out of the header of the file which is good but it > > should also validate that the file is big enough to have this much data in it, > > otherwise it's possible to read beyond the end of the firmware file (eg, if it got > > truncated somehow). Previously the code used the size of the file read from disk > > so that wasn't an issue. > Thanks for quick comment. Can this case cover by below line? > + if (fw->size < MAX98390_DSM_PARAM_MIN_SIZE) { > + dev_err(component->dev, > + "param fw is invalid.\n"); > + goto err_alloc; > + } No, that doesn't cover all of it - the case I'm concerned about is the case where we've got enough data for the header but the payload is truncated. You need a check that param_size + _PAYLOAD_OFFSET is less than fw->size as well.